Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Heart Seaweed

Fancy dinner 013

SEAWEED……the mere mention of the word brings images of bright green alien like floating tentacles happily greeting passersby at dim sum. Mmmm, it makes me hungry just thinking about it.

I instantly became fond of The Seaweed Scarf pattern by the simple nature of its organic name…seaweed and the patterns lovely flowing ruffles. I had this pattern on my list of things I would like to knit for over a year, just waiting for the right moment. I needed inspiration and to pony up the whopping $7.00 for the pattern. Then like a chocolate bon bon with an unexpected wonderful creamy coconut center, VOILA! I received THE yarn.

yarnies 004
A beauty of skein of Malabrigo yarn in colorway hummingbird. The color is a blend of different shades of both green and purple. Knitted up, it looks like a crazy mix of seaweed, I just love it. This lovely yarn found me by way of my Ravelry friend Anniepurl who sent it to me as part of a Halloween swap in 2010.

The Seaweed scarf/shawlette pattern turned out to be a very enjoyable project. I couldn’t put it down. It knitted up much faster than I expected, which added to my satisfaction. The pattern itself is fairly simple little triangular shawl, but the beautiful little ruffle detail is awesome. The best part was that I learned a new bind off method. The bind off was something new and exciting that I had never done before and once finished it gave the Seaweed scarf/shawlette the beautiful finished detail.
Fancy dinner 011
Things I would modify
I would love to make the scarf/shawlette bigger, into an actual full size shawl. For this project I just didn’t have enough yarn to play with, otherwise I would have made it much bigger. I even thought about making the ruffle longer but did not want to risk running out of yarn due to miscalculations or ruining the ruffled pattern finish.

All in all Seaweed is fun to eat and create!

2 comments: